Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thankful Thanksgiving

Stardate 65411.4

12:02 - My first Thanksgiving in DC did not resemble anything like a traditional one. I spent it in a bar with my fellow Aggies. I had no turkey but opted for a bevo burn in the form of a hamburger, blue cheese and bacon. As we watched in hope, we were horrified at the last second by a field goal. I fully expected the next morning to wake up to facebook cries for Sherman's head, and there were a few.  I was very happy to see more Aggies still proud to be at Texas A&M despite everything that had transpired.

Of the multitude of reasons for why I love being an Aggie, a few were extremely transparent that day. First, I can always count on having someone to have dinner with on both Thanksgiving and April 21st. I know of no other school where complete strangers are willing to dine and spend a holiday night together. Because despite not knowing each other's name when you came, you leave friends.  As a new person in the city, our little bar was a beacon for new Aggies to the area who didn't have someone to spend the day with, but they had their fellow Aggs. Second, if a t-sip walks in on our bar, we treat them with respect. Expect the vice versa scenario to not be as respectful. Lastly, DuVal Jr. '51 once wrote of the Aggie football team, "I've seen 'em lose and I've seen 'em win But I've never seen 'em quit." The boys on the field had their fight cut out for them, but the team that I saw not quitting was the 12th man. For that, I am forever grateful to have been amongst the Fightin' Texas Aggie 12th man in the decks of Kyle Field.

Thanks and Gig'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment