Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Legendary Happy Hour

Stardate 65372.5

Snagged from the HC website
07:22 - A couple weeks ago, a coworker asked me to help plan a happy our for the office.  Focuse Foxies, DC runs on the concept and execution of the idea of happy hour. Washingtonians love a good happy; hell, we will even invite people form Virginia and Maryland to this merriment out of sheer good will and fun times. The challenge to me was to plan a happy hour for a group in a town with no space on a night before a holiday weekend. Challenge Accepted!

Space, location, and funness were all important aspects of a great Happy Hour bar.  Also, good food is a plus.  I searched high and low in the downtown, Chinatown, and Penn Quarter neighborhoods for the perfect bar for the young and old and all around cheap. Eventually, I went with what I knew to be a tried and true place: Hill Country BBQ.  Hill Country BBQ is where expat Texans go to find tender brisket and cold Shiner pitchers. With that in mind, I decided to bring all of my new coworkers to this Texas oasis.
And it was Legen..wait for it dary! Legendary! Half of the office showed up. More importantly, I used my Aggie connections to reserve two huge booth tables to accommodate everyone. Bonus, I introduced everyone to Shiner for the first time, and they were hooked. I actually have never partaken in the BBQ side of the establishment and corrected that, that night by ordering a brisket chomp meal.  Honestly, it tasted almost as good as my grandfather's pit.  Not bad praise from any Texan.

Everyone thought the event was a great success.  So much so, I earned a spot on the Party Planning Committee and am one of two people planning the office Christmas party.

Focus Foxy Shout Outs: Simon for making the Hill Country Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment