Monday, June 18, 2012

Worldwide Knit in Public Day 2012

Stardate 65929.9

15:31 - Some activities exist to amuse old people, such as crossword puzzles, print media in general, and yelling at young people. Knitting is not one of those type of activities. I know what you are thinking. Isn't knitting the most old people activity listed above? I say to you false. You have no clue what you are missing. But on June 17th, a group of people set out to teach you differently because June 17th is World Knit in Public Day. It is a day where the craftiest of people come out and show off their mad yarn skills. The Textile Museum was hosting an event this year where knitters can congregate and learn from each other.


Focus Foxies, let me be honest and upfront. I crocheted instead of knitted/knitting/I don't know how to knit. I crochet, but I crochet very well. I learned in high school as a way to keep from getting bored. So my rebel self crocheted amongst the knitters and we all had a grand time.  I met my friend Kara at the Textile Museum. There she showed off her expert skills. I was stuck making granny squares (again, not a old people activity). The day was cool for a June day. We sat under a little gazebo in the Textile Museum's backyard and enjoyed the weather, conversation, and knitting/crocheting. We became fast friends with two other ladies sitting with us. We all swapped secrets about where to get the best yarn, and by we, I mean I listened.

I couldn't imagine a more plesant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I got to do some crafting and got inspired for more projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment