Monday, June 11, 2012

Tubing Down the River

Stardate 65910.3

12:17 - Texas’ passtime in the early months of Summer is tubing down long rivers. My favorite Memorial Day memories center on floating the Frio River. To find tubing in the DC area, you have to follow county roads out to West Virginia. We packed our bags, bought a Groupon, and went to Harpers Ferry. Fueled on Yuengling, we rode the rapids of the Potomac and lazily drifted down the Shenandoah River. I am proud to say that no one fell off without meaning to, and we came back with as many people as we went with. That might seem silly to say, but you can get separated and lose people if they fall asleep or have too much.

The sun felt great and the river greater. I can’t say when it was that I last got out into nature, but it was way too long. I have been stuck in an office chair, locked in my basement bedroom, and tunneled underground in the metro. I was glad that I had time to breathe in the fresh air. Although these rivers aren’t as rough and tumble as Texas’ rivers, they still bought back fond memories and made new ones.This will definitely be a planned outing each year.

 Focus Foxies in attendance:  Durete (the groupon spotter), Rodney, and Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment