Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mellow Mushroom on My Mind

Stardate 65836.3

11:45 - I take my pizza seriously. I like a deep dish, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Follow the KISS principle and do not let anything interfere. Mellow Mushroom, the pizzeria, shares my attitude on pizza, but they have a crazy take on pizza. Opening their first store near Georgia Tech, this pizzeria has spread the love to over 100 locations around the US. Mellow Mushroom found its way to the Adams Morgan neighborhood of the District, and it seems to fit in quite nicely.


We wandered into Mellow Mushroom after a failed attempt to use a groupon on Brazilian food. Having a Georgian with me, we quickly shuffled into the Mellow Mushroom. Apparently, these pizzerias are hallowed grounds in the Empire State of the South. To anyone not from Georgia, they sell Shiner cheaply so all are welcome! Considering our hungry state, we ordered dessert first. The honey and cinnamon pretzels take the Mellow Mushroom's famous whole wheat dough and turn them into warm pastries covered in honey and cinnamon. These sticky delights reminded me of the warm memories of sopapillas.

Winner, Winner, Pizza Dinner!
As for pizza, the native Georgian went on the wild side and tried to recreate the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pizza of his boyhood. This deluxe menu item was not featured so he went by memory when ordering. As for me, I did venture out. I added blue cheese and spinach to my pepperoni pizza. Nothing else. Both pizzas turned out well (mine better, of course). The famous crust was both crispy on the outside and soft pillows of fluff on the inside. Everything was in proportion and that was just peachy for us.

With our thirst and hunger quenched, we took left overs home with us to savor the flavor. Although I wish we could have taken an order of pretzels home. Those sweet honey and cinnamon pretzels keep Mellow Mushroom on my mind.

Georgian Focus Foxy Rob in attendance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment