Friday, September 17, 2010

Brazos Bingo

Stardate 64210.3
23:09 - While the masses sojourned to the Hall this Thursday night, I found myself at Brazos Bingo (near Hwy 6 and Briarcrest).  I might have been born to ramble, but never really to gamble, even in small doses. However, when Meaghan tells you to "Venga!"  you go. Now for those of you who have never been to bingo, it is a big deal to those who go.  Thursday nights are half price nights; for $5 you can get 12 boards a round and two beers (about the price of a movies in Aggieland).  This investment can lead you to win about $100-$375; not half bad. But what you really are paying for is the people.

Oh the people you will see... you already know that I went with Meaghan. Her roommate joined us in our gambling adventure; both of them supplied crazy stories about winning bingo, how bingo can be addicting after one try, and why they should never do drugs.  However, the star of the show was sitting in a wheel chair at the end of our row.  We first recognize her when she was trying to get the attention of another table because "[she was] tired of them fighting all them time and wanted to tell them to stop." It was obvious she had no idea who these people were. As she began to roll towards them, I took my camera out in preparation for something to happen.  She interpreted my camera as a pack of cigarettes; "Crazy Lauren, can I bum a cigarette from you. You know that my son went to go buy me a pack." That was the second time that day that I wished I had a pack on me, but no dice. She scooted by me to the other table to bum one there. She then rolled back to her spot to pull out her pack of cigarettes and her Tupperware of prescription drugs.  We were having a good time as the Bingo numbers were being drawn, when she asked, "Do you know why I am so happy?" Focus Foxies, I hadn't a clue. "It's because I died last year. I spent 6 months in a hospital and I died. In 2005, I spent 5 weeks in the hospital and I died then too. The Lord told me that if I wanted to live, all I needed to do was smile. So I'm smilin' now." Easy bargain to keep to keep on living. She went back to her game, and we refocused on our game. When the final card was passed out worth $600 to the victor, she came gliding up to us and instructed us to hold hands because we were going to pray the Bingo Prayer:

"Now I sit me down to play,
Dabbers up, and I'll pray. 
We got here Mary, Bob, and Jamie and Joe.
The Caller is up, we are ready to go.
The colors are bright, lets do it just right.
I hope to holler bingo tonight
                                     :), Amen"
At the end of the night, she told us if she was still alive, she would see us next Thursday. She is currently living in Caldwell and getting dialysis in College Station.  For as much fun as we had at her expense, I felt as if she had more considering all her time in the hospital.  Many people get in their own ways when it comes to doing what makes them truly happy. The excuses tend to pile up and the pursuit of happiness tends to stop in its tracks. But if she can come to a place that makes her happy despite her hospital time, how do our excuses compare? So if you are alive next Thursday, I hope you join us for some Bingo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment