Friday, December 2, 2011

PR at Partners

Stardate 65420.9

14:55 - Last night, I went to PR at Partners hair salon because I needed to get my hair did, badly. I am not one to fuss about hair issues but my hair style was oscillating from 'no-style' to Alan Rickman's Severus Snape.  Either of these do not qualify as hot in my book. Being in a new city, I took a recommendation from a friend, which came with a coupon, and scheduled an appointment with PR at Partners.

Focus Foxies, when I go out on a limb and try to be cool with my hair styles, the hair cuts tend to be a series of bad 70s cuts. The most defining example of this comes from the seventh grade. As you can imagine, I was too nerdy/dorky/geeky to function, but I wanted to be cool.  At that time, all of the pretty, cool girls had 'layers' in their hair. Young me did not quite get the concept of layers because I had always had a straight cut in back and for my bangs.  So I requested layers for my next hair cut and my 'stylist' (who doubled as my piano teacher. $5 for a cut or piano lesson was the going rate). What she gave me was a 70s inspired shag cut. Google David Cassidy from the Partridge family; that was me in the seventh grade. It was so bad that the next day when I went to the lunch table, people said I looked like a boy and everyone laughed at me. I tried laughing with the joke and my orthodontic work got stuck, preventing my mouth from closing. Damn overbite corrector! Anyways, you can see how I could be a big ball of insecurity to this day when trying something new with my hair.

I have watched plenty of episodes Tabitha's Salon Take Over to know that going to a salon does not equal good quality. BUT, I am in a new fancy city, and I am trying new and fancy things. So, I put aside my upbringing and tried a place out that cost more than 15 dollars. I got played, badly.  Despite my stylist, Huey, being 45 minutes late, I only requested three things. (side note: he showed me a picture of Natalie Portman as what he wanted to do with my hair, and I had visions of looking like Senator Amidala. Expectations way too high for starters. double side note: the picture might have been of Kiera Knightley, but telling the two apart is really hard. See Episode I, but I digress.) The first thing, I wanted to have enough hair to pull back. I work out 4-5 times a week and need a pony tail. Check, easy to do. Second thing, low maintenance is key. He didn't do so great here. I will probably have to put product and blow dry it. Not a happy camper about that. Lastly and most importantly, I wanted volume to my hair. Let me explain you something about a stereotypical Texas woman. We like our hair big. The TV show Dallas was not lost on us. We updated our styles but continue the homage. We like big hair, big personalities and big... well you can fill the blank on that one. So you can imagine my surprise when the 'voluminous' hair cut I got fell flatter than a pancake. It was crepe thin!

Considering there were people sleeping on the ground outside, it was silly of me to walk out balling my eyes out, but I miss Texas so damn much at times like these. Every time I go into a place like this, I feel like I have sucker written on my forehead and someone will take advantage me not knowing anything about anything. Funny thing is, when I got home, the 'styling' Huey did left with Farrah Faucet wing tips. Some things just don't change.

No comments:

Post a Comment