Friday, October 14, 2011

Columbus Went to the Zoo



Stardate 65286.9
12:02 - On Columbus Day, I decided to get in touch with my wild side.  I figured my wild side could be found at the National Zoo. OS I went with a "meet-up" group to the zoo to see all of the awesome animals.  For those of you not familiar with "meet-up" groups, they are online groups of people that get together to hang out and do fun things. Being the first time I was apart of a "meet-up" group, the hype met my expectations. The specific group that I am a part of is the "20s and 30s DC and Arlington Group."  So far there are less than 350 members, but they seem like they do a number of fun things i.e. go to the zoo.  The National Zoo is part of the Smithsonian Institute so you get in free. One of the major benefits to living in this city is free entrance to tons of places. And like all Smithsonian places, the Zoo is awesome. However, I must say that there is a decidedly lack of foxes and penguins in the zoo.I did not let that get me down because this zoo has Pandas and lots of them.  The Red Pandas recently had cubs, but they were not on display.  So we saw Red Pandas snoozing in a tree. We got to tower of elephants by walking the Elephant Bridge. Because of the great weather, the big cats were outside and frisky. Amazonia had free range monkeys, which were pretty fun if you stayed out of their splash zones.  We even saw a baby gorilla.  Well, he is technically two years old, but he looks so small next to his six foot Dad. Overall, the Zoo was a great way to spend a Monday off in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment