Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Islamic Community of Bryan/College Station

Stardate 64254.4

15:22 - Entering the Islamic Community Center of Bryan/College Station, I left my shoes at the entrance and walked towards the greeter. Before this Saturday, I have never been inside a Mosque but took the opportunity to visit when a friend invited me to an Open House. I had no preconceived notions of what to expect about the Mosque or (truth be told) about the religion of Islam. I entered the center eager to learn, starting with a run down of Mosque etiquette by the greeter.

The large prayer area held tables and booths with bundles of information about the basics, prophets and culture of Islam. I had no idea where to start; interestingly enough, not knowing anything beforehand hindered my ability to ask questions. I understand that the point of the Open House was to teach individuals about Islam, but I have never been comfortable with blatantly asking someone about their religion. When I am asked, I simply reply Catholic and let my audience fill in the blanks. Never have I been asked to give an explanation on what it means to be Catholic. I felt most comfortable asking women about their faith, partly because I could only shake hands with women within the Mosque. I do not know why that affected my decision, but it made the transition from 'Hi' to 'What is your belief on God' easier.

At one o'clock, I attended a lecture that briefly explained the principle beliefs of Islam and how those translated into the practices of Islam. The six articles of faith are the belief in Allah (p.b.u.h) as the one true God, in the creation of Angels, in the authenticity of the Revealed Scriptures, in the Messengers explaining Allah's (p.b.u.h) message, in the certainty of the Next Life and in idea in Divine Decree. The five pillars of Islam adopt these articles of faith and transform them into practices. The five pillars of Islam are the Declaration of Faith, the 5 Daily Prescribed Prayers, fasting durring Ramadan, giving of alms, and the Pilgrimage to Mecca.

Another aspect of the Open House included an small introduction into the culture of Muslims around the world. As you can see above, Focus Foxies, I got a henna tattoo, which has stayed with me until the next Thursday. Accompanying the henna station was the 'write your name in Arabic' station. I have tried to recreate my name in Arabic calligraphy and failed miserably.  However, the food proved to be amazing; I was able to try food from all over. I ate beef Egyptian treats, Saudi Arabian appetizers, Palestinian falafel, Sudanese cheese pastry, Libyan desserts of Baklava, and Jordanian coffee ball.  I relished the new tastes of soft cheese infused with spices covered in fluffy pastry, crispy outsides of falafel with a softer inside, and the deep, rich flavor of coffee cover in coconut flakes.

Before I left the Mosque, I witnessed the call to prayer and wondered if I could ever open myself up in this manner to having people watch me as I worship.  I have at times brought my friends to mass with me (all of them Christian), and even that felt like a production of sorts. I have never imagined opening my place of worship up to someone of a completely different faith, a stranger or even someone who could be hostile towards my faith.  But the members of the Islamic Community of Bryan/College Station did, and for that, I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment