Sunday, October 10, 2010

How I was Raised...Country Music

Stardate 64277.1
20:10 - A few weeks ago, a fellow Bushwacker asked me to contribute to our list of Music Monday selections to be sent out to the whole Bush School. At this time, my love for outlaw country was being rekindled. I reacquainted myself with this genre of country music by spending one lazy Sunday afternoon with a Cuban, couple pitchers of beer at the Chicken, and the Great Gonzos album by Jerry Jeff Walker. I submitted Jerry Jeff Walker's “London Homesick Blues”, “LA Freeway”, “Gettin’ By”, and “Sangria Wine” to the Music Monday list. Now because of the nature of the genre and the highfalutin ways of the Bush School, I truly did not expect my list to make the cut. So you can imagine my surprise when I opened my email and saw my suggestions under a Brazilian freedom fighter muscian(Caetano Veloso), classic 80s( Heart), and some new age indie folk rock(The Decemberists).


Focus Foxies, I was outed as a country fan. I have worn many hats in my life: protesting liberal, radical feminist, footloose party animal, and a nasty piece of work. None of which would cause even my closest of friends to assume that I listened to Waylon and Willie and the boys. Mainly because I have never told anyone that I listen to country music; in fact, I spent a good deal of time concealing it from the world because the crowds I rolled with just didn't care to listen to it. While I'm being this honest, I have no idea who Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam, Green Day or any 90s hip-hop stars until the later part of my high school career. I have tried listening to other types of music. I had a phase of Opera and Classical music, but I don't speak Italian and get bored easily. I wandered in the Classic Rock direction, but as soon as I opened my mouth about that genre, people listed off tons of artist that I was supposed to know. I had no idea and hated being judged for not knowing by similar know-nothing 16 year-olds. If Classic Rock represented a high start-up cost, Indie/Alternative Rock habit seemed impossibly expensive. For every band that Classic Rocker needed to know in the past, the Indie/Alternative Rock fans had to know a current underground band about to make it big that no one else knew about.  I can't keep up with that nor do I want to.

So while you were making your memories to your selected music type, I was enjoying George Strait,Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, Martina McBride, Joe Dee Messina, Faith Hill, Tim Mcgraw, Kenny Chesney, Dixie Chicks, Toby Kieth, Jimmy Buffett, Reba McEntire, Alabama, and countless more. The first country song that I knew all the words to was "Carrying Your Love with Me" by George Strait. The first album my Mom and I got into a fight about was "Come On Over" by Shania Twain.  I can remember my Mom putting on 'Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother" on the radio for the first time. At 13, I could sing karaoke to "Friends in Low Places." I sing "Wear My Ring" off key every time it plays in O'Bannons.  And if you were to ask me what I picture love to be, I would say my parents two-steppin' in Garner State Park to "You Had me at Hello" by Kenny Chesney. Every morning, I wake up to country music videos because I can't start my day any other way. Most of my memories of music center around country music so I guess its good that I stopped living a double life. So judge on if you can, but I will just turn up Merle's "Fightin' Side."

2 comments: