Monday, January 9, 2012

Slaviya

Stardate 65488.9
 
12:45 - The Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC boasts of an eclectic mix of restaurants, bars, and people. Behind the chaotic construction of 18th St NW lies a wonderful little Eastern European restaurant, named Slaviya. Having never been to AdMo area, I became acquainted with this establishment through Groupon. For those Focus Foxies not familiar with my couponing habits, I am obsessed with Groupon and could not pass up a deal to get in touch with my heritage. So we cabbed it to AdMo to see this Eastern European delight.
 
Little known fact about me and my skulk (group of Foxes/my family) make homemade pierogi every year around Christmas. For non-Polish Focus Foxies, these are dumplings made with cheese, sauerkraut, or potatoes. We specialize in the cheese pierogi business. Slaviya serves pierogi, potato style, except they blow ours out of the water. Their pierogi are creamy and buttery. Once dipped in sour cream, they melt in your mouth like Slavic goodness. In addition, we had the Russian cousin to the pierogi: the pelmeni. These slightly smaller than pierofi dumplings were filled with ground beef and pork. They emulated the same buttery and melty attributes of the pierogi but with their own distinctive flavors.

The entrees did not live up to the appetizers, but with pierogi that good, what can? I ordered my entree from the another side of my Slavic heritage. The Pork Prague Schnitzel over a bed of fries and grilled vegetables was tender for a schnitzel. The real star of the entree show was the Piletina. This dish consisted of chicken stuffed with grilled vegetables and served with a side of pasta. The stuffed chicken balanced the rich flavors of the chicken against the lightness of perfectly cooked vegtables. When I go back to Slaviya, I am ordering this, if I get passed the pierogi.

Overall, I would suggest Slaviya to anyone traveling up to AdMo or just looking for a Cold War adventure in the Soviet Block. I think it pretty obvious which dish I would suggest you get, but keep it fresh, Focus Foxies. I would not be surprised if they had other amazing dishes here as well.

A converted Eastern European Focus Foxy: Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment