Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Red Hook Lobster


Stardate 66565.2

15:45 - On a cold day, (far colder than in the Dominican Republic) I decided to indulge a love of mine: food trucks. I had nothing in my fridge for lunch and wanted to continue to walk on the wild side, so food from a moving vehicle fits the bill. For this particular culinary adventure, I chose the Red Hook Lobster.

Red Hook Lobster has a claim to fame as being the best DC lobster truck. They specialize in Maine Lobster Rolls. What qualifies as a ‘Maine Lobster Roll’, Focus Foxies? I am not sure. I really do not have that type of regional knowledge, but the sign on the truck mentioned mayo. I was mostly sold on that point. I went with a shrimp roll meal. This buttery roll was covered, nay suffocated with little shrimp. I mean a pile of shrimp on a bun. The shrimp was coated in a homemade lemon mayo, which was tangy to say the least. The shrimp were on a bed of lettuce, but I had to fight my way in to figure that out.


The meal felt like a little trip to the Northeast. It came with the traditional Northeast Cape Cod chips. They are your typical kettle chips that I adore. The most notable thing about the truck was their drink selection. They had a fountain right there on the side of the truck. All of the cokes were made by Maine Root. This is a small, independent 'soda' manufacturer. They have bunches of different organic sodas to try. I decided to go with something more regionally familiar to me: Mexi-cola. I enjoyed it. It was spicier than your usual coke. It was cool to see Red Hook Lobster support local (by local, I mean Maine) companies. It made it feel more authentic.

This wouldn't be your typical lunch at $12 a meal, but it did make for something different in L'enfant plaza. As I was walking up, the cook/owner and a guest were talking about DC chef twitter fights. It was pretty legit place. I felt like I was a part of something. Soon you won't recognize me, Focus Foxies. I will be a part of the culinary underground.


No comments:

Post a Comment